Young Artists Competition
The Young Artists Competition promotes excellence through competition in the field of music performance. The competition is open to classical instrumentalists who are residents of either Westmoreland or Fayette County or take private music lessons in either of those two counties and have not yet graduated from high school. Participants compete for performance opportunities as determined by a three-judge panel. Cash prizes will be awarded as determined by the judges.
January 15, 2021—Application, check and audio recording due in the WSO office. Late entries will not be accepted. If sending by mail, send application early.
February 7, 2021— Finals begin at 11 a.m.
February 14, 2021 —Winners’ Recital at 3 p.m.
>>Click Here to Download the Registration Packet
- Applicants must perform a minimum of two contrasting pieces representing different periods of classical repertoire, highlighting both lyricism and facility.
- Performing from memory is required for pianists and encouraged for others.
- Due to COVID-19, we are not requiring piano accompaniment. If you do use an accompanist, you need to provide your own accompanist for the recorded and live auditions. If chosen to perform, the winner must use the same accompanist for a live audition and recital.
- Audition recording, any format (no videos allowed) must include the entire program that the applicant plans to perform in the live audition.
- Finalists must provide three copies of their music (one for each judge), with measure numbers listed at the beginning of each line. This includes full scores for instrumentalists.
Level I (up to 10 minutes performance time)
Up to Grade 9
Piano – Instrumental
Level II (up to 15 minutes performance time)
Piano – Instrumental
Contestants may only win the top prize once per level (i.e., a 1st prize winner at Level I may not enter at Level I again unless he/she applies on another instrument).
$15 – preliminary recorded audition
$15 – live audition if the contestant is accepted for the final round
Cash prizes and performance in the Winners’ Recital are determined by a panel of professional musicians.
- Level I – 1st place $150; 2nd place $100, 3rd place $75
- Level II – 1st place $250; 2nd place $200, 3rd place $150
Prizes may or may not be given in each of the four categories, at judges’ discretion.
Congratulations to all the past 2020 Winners
Level I – up to Grade 9
1st place – Lawrence Liu, flute (Fox Chapel Area High School, teacher – Dan Parasky)
2nd place – Claire Stewart, cello (Indiana Area Junior High School, teacher – Sarah Ferrell)
3rd place – AJ Schmidt, flute (Franklin Regional Middle School, teacher – Dan Parasky)
1st place – Michelle Yan (Franklin Regional Middle School, teacher Tatyana Gelman)
Level II – Grades 10-12
1st place – Mia Heron, flute (Franklin Regional High School, teacher – Dan Parasky)
2nd place – Evelyn Markle, flute (PA Leadership Charter School, teacher – Michele Boulet)
3rd place – Kaitlyn Dotson, flute (Franklin Regional High School, teacher – Dan Parasky)
Honorable Mention – Audrey Lawrence, flute (Plum High School, teacher – Dan Parasky)
1st place – Hannah Yan (Franklin Regional High School, teacher – Tatyana Gelman)
2nd place – David An (Greater Latrobe Senior High School, teacher – Edward J. Kuhn)